Hurricane Contest 2023
Don't Miss Out!Don't Miss Out!
The Atlantic hurricane season is about to begin. Can you predict how many named storms there will be this year, how many major hurricanes, and how many U.S. landfalls? Indue in some aleuromancy (Google it!), average the pre-season forecasts, or simply make a guess.
This is just for fun; there’s no prize, just some kudos. The winner will be announced early in January. Enter Now!
- Entries must be submitted by 4:59:59 p.m. (EDT) on May 31, 2023.
- You must fill out the entire form using only non-negative integers and provide only one value for each field in the entry form.
- The winner will have the lowest combined error of total named storms in the Atlantic basin, total hurricanes, total major (category 3, 4, or 5) hurricanes, and mainland U.S. landfalling hurricanes.
- In the case of a tie, the winner will the person who submitted the lowest error forecast first.
- The contest runs through December 31, 2023. If a storm forms, becomes major, or makes landfall past that date, it will not count.
- The National Hurricane Center's reanalysis by December 31, 2023 will be the validation set, regardless of how the storm was named or categorized at the time.
- The winner will be announced after December 31, 2023.
- If an issue comes up that is not addressed in these rules, a decision will be made by an appropriate subject matter expert within Verisk.